Sodium fluorescein-guided brain tumor surgery under the YELLOW-560-nm surgical microscope filter in pediatric age group: feasibility and preliminary results
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGoker, B., & Kiris, T. (2019). Sodium fluorescein-guided brain tumor surgery under the YELLOW-560-nm surgical microscope filter in pediatric age group: feasibility and preliminary results. CHILDS NERVOUS SYSTEM, 35(3), 429–435. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00381-018-04037-4
ObjectiveTo evaluate the feasibility and safety of sodium fluorescein (Na-Fl)-guided surgery with the use of the PENTERO 900 surgical microscope (Carl Zeiss, Meditec, Oberkochen, Germany) equipped with the YELLOW-560-nm filter and low-dose Na-Fl (2mg/kg) in pediatric brain tumor surgery.MethodsThe study included 23 pediatric patients with various intracranial pathologies, who underwent Na-Fl-guided surgery between April 2015 and February 2018. Clinical features, surgical observations, extent of resection, and tumor histopathology were retrospectively analyzed. The use of YELLOW-560-nm filter was found helpful if the discrimination of the pinkish brain tissue and bright yellow stained tumor tissue was clear. Otherwise, it was described as not helpful.ResultsThere were 11 female and 12 male patients with a mean age of 9.4years. There were 7 brain stem/tectal plate gliomas, 6 supratentorial tumors, 4 intraventricular tumors, 2 pineal tumors, 2 infratentorial tumors, 1 clivus tumor, and 1 tumor with supra- and infratentorial extensions in the current series. Na-Fl was found helpful by means of the tumor demarcation in 20 instances (87%). In 11 of these 20 operations (55%), a total resection was achieved regardless of the tumor pathology. A subtotal resection was achieved in the remaining 9 patients (45%). No adverse events or side effects were encountered with regard to Na-Fl use.ConclusionNa-Fl guidance with the use of the YELLOW-560 filter is safe and effective during brain tumor surgery in pediatric age group.